Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Tertiary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈtɜː.ʃi.ə.ɹiː/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈtɝ.ʃi.æ.ɹi/, /ˈtɝ.ʃə.ɹi/
Audio (GA) (file)
- Hyphenation: ter‧ti‧a‧ry
tertiary (not comparable)
- Of third rank or order; subsequent.
- (chemistry) Possessing some quality in the third degree; especially having been subjected to the substitution of three atoms or radicals.
a tertiary alcohol, amine, or salt
- (ornithology) Of quills: growing on the innermost joint of a bird's wing; tertial.
terms coordinate to tertiary
third rank or order
tertiary (plural tertiaries)
- (ornithology) A tertiary feather; a tertial.
- (Roman Catholicism) A member of a Roman Catholic third order; a layperson who participates in activities similar to those engaged in by men and women who take religious vows (respectively the first and second orders), and who may wear some elements of an order's habit such as a scapular.
Roman Catholicism: member of a third order
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.