Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Amine
amine (plural amines)
- (inorganic chemistry) A functional group formally derived from ammonia by replacing one, two or three hydrogen atoms with hydrocarbon or other radicals.
- (organic chemistry) Any organic compound containing an amine functional group.
- primary amine e.g. methylamine
- secondary amine e.g. dimethylamine
- tertiary amine e.g. trimethylamine
- quaternary ammonium compound e.g.tetramethylammonium hydroxide
inorganic chemistry: functional group formally derived from ammonia
organic compound containing an amine functional group