- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfiːtʃə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfitʃɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -iːtʃə(ɹ)
feature (plural features)
- (obsolete) One's structure or make-up: form, shape, bodily proportions.
- An important or main item.
- (media) A long, prominent article or item in the media, or the department that creates them; frequently used technically to distinguish content from news.
- Any of the physical constituents of the face (eyes, nose, etc.).
- (computing) A beneficial capability of a piece of software.
2002, Sam Williams, Free as in Freedom:
- The program contained an internal feature, which allowed a user to update display text after each command keystroke.
- The cast or structure of anything, or of any part of a thing, as of a landscape, a picture, a treaty, or an essay; any marked peculiarity or characteristic.
- one of the features of the landscape.
1911, 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica:
- The most prominent feature of the New England land system was the town grant, which in every case became the territorial basis of a group settlement.
- (archaeology) Something discerned from physical evidence that helps define, identify, characterize, and interpret an archeological site.
- A feature of many Central Texas prehistoric archeological sites is a low spreading pile of stones called a rock midden. Other features at these sites may include small hearths.
- (engineering) Characteristic forms or shapes of parts. For example, a hole, boss, slot, cut, chamfer, or fillet.
- See also Wikisaurus:characteristic
important or main item
long, prominent article or item in the media
one of the physical constituents of the face
computing: beneficial capability of a piece of software
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
Translations to be checked
- (transitive) To ascribe the greatest importance to something within a certain context.
- (transitive) To star, to contain.
- (intransitive) To appear, to make an appearance.
2009 November 27, “Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child has 'best guitar riff'”, in BBC:
- Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love, Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water and Layla by Derek and the Dominos also featured in the top five.
ascribe the greatest importance
to star, to contain