Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈfiːtʃə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈfitʃɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -iːtʃə(ɹ)
feature (plural features)
- (obsolete) One's structure or make-up; form, shape, bodily proportions.
- An important or main item.
- (media) A long, prominent, article or item in the media, or the department that creates them; frequently used technically to distinguish content from news.
- Any of the physical constituents of the face (eyes, nose, etc.).
- (computing) A beneficial capability of a piece of software.
2002, Sam Williams, Free as in Freedom:
- The program contained an internal feature, which allowed a user to update display text after each command keystroke.
- The cast or structure of anything, or of any part of a thing, as of a landscape, a picture, a treaty, or an essay; any marked peculiarity or characteristic; as, one of the features of the landscape.
1911, 1911 Encyclopædia Britannica:
- The most prominent feature of the New England land system was the town grant, which in every case became the territorial basis of a group settlement.
- (archaeology) Something discerned from physical evidence that helps define, identify, characterize, and interpret an archeological site.
- A feature of many Central Texas prehistoric archeological sites is a low spreading pile of stones called a rock midden. Other features at these sites may include small hearths.
- (engineering) Characteristic forms or shapes of a part. For example, a hole, boss, slot, cut, chamfer, or fillet.
- See also Wikisaurus:characteristic
important or main item
long, prominent, article or item in the media
one of the physical constituents of the face
computing: beneficial capability of a piece of software
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
- To ascribe the greatest importance to something within a certain context.
- To star, to contain.
- to appear; to make an appearance.
2009 November 27, “Jimi Hendrix's Voodoo Child has 'best guitar riff'”, in BBC:
- Led Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love, Deep Purple's Smoke On The Water and Layla by Derek and the Dominos also featured in the top five.
ascribe the greatest importance