Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
tense (plural tenses)
- (grammar) Any of the forms of a verb which distinguish when an action or state of being occurs or exists.
- The basic tenses in English are present, past, and future.
- See: Category:en:Tenses
verb forms distinguishing time
- Showing signs of stress or strain; not relaxed.
- You need to relax, all this overtime and stress is making you tense.
- Pulled taut, without any slack.
showing stress or strain
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
- To make or become tense.
make or become tense