Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: tensión
- Condition of being held in a state between two or more forces, which are acting in opposition to each other
- Psychological state of being tense.
- A feeling of nervousness, excitement, or fear that is created in a movie, book, etc.; suspense.
- (physics, engineering) State of an elastic object which is stretched in a way which increases its length.
- (physics, engineering) Force transmitted through a rope, string, cable, or similar object (used with prepositions on, in, or of, e.g., "The tension in the cable is 1000 N", to convey that the same magnitude of force applies to objects attached to both ends).
- (physics, engineering) Voltage. Usually only the terms low tension, high tension, and extra-high tension, and the abbreviations LT, HT, and EHT are used. They are not precisely defined; LT is normally a few volts, HT a few hundreds of volts, and EHT thousands of volts.
state of an elastic object
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
to place in tension
- accusative singular of tensio
- Genitive singular form of tensio.
tension f (plural tensions)