Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ɪmˈpɔːtəns/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ɪmˈpɔɹtəns/, [-ʔn̩s]
Audio (US) (file)
- The quality or condition of being important or worthy of note.
- significance or prominence.
- personal status or standing.
- Something of importance.
- 1895, Kenneth Graham, The Golden Age, London, page 5:
- It was incessant matter for amazement how these Olympians would talk over our heads - during meals, for instance - of this or the other social or political inanity, under the delusion that these pale phantasms of reality were among the importances of life.
quality or condition of being important or worthy of note
significance or prominence
personal status or standing
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
importance f (plural importances)
- “importance” in Trésor de la langue française informatisé (The Digitized Treasury of the French Language).