- 1 English
- 2 Catalan
- 3 Ladin
- 4 Spanish
- 5 Swedish
Part or all of this entry has been imported from the 1913 edition of Webster’s Dictionary, which is now free of copyright and hence in the public domain. The imported definitions may be significantly out of date, and any more recent senses may be completely missing.
(See the entry for personal in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913.)
- personall (obsolete)
From Middle English personal, personele, from Anglo-Norman personel, personal, personell, Old French personal, personel, from Late Latin persōnālis (“of a person, personly”), equivalent to person + -al.
- Pertaining to human beings as distinct from things.
- Of or pertaining to a particular person; relating to, or affecting, an individual, or each of many individuals; peculiar or proper to private concerns; not public or general
personal question; personal desire
Her song was her personal look at the values of friendship.
You can't read my diary - it is personal.
- Pertaining to the external or bodily appearance; corporeal.
1922, Ben Travers, chapter 5, in A Cuckoo in the Nest:
- The most rapid and most seductive transition in all human nature is that which attends the palliation of a ravenous appetite. […] Can those harmless but refined fellow-diners be the selfish cads whose gluttony and personal appearance so raised your contemptuous wrath on your arrival?
- Done in person; without the intervention of another.
a personal interview; personal settings
- This immediate and personal speaking of God Almighty to Abraham, Job and Moses, […]
- Relating to an individual, their character, conduct, motives, or private affairs, in an invidious and offensive manner
- personal reflections or remarks
- (grammar) Denoting a person.
Not to be confused with personnel (“employees, staff”).
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout#Translations.
personal (plural personals)
- An advertisement by which individuals attempt to meet others with similar interests.
- A movable; a chattel.
personal (masculine and feminine plural personals)
personal (plural personales)
personal m (plural personales)
- staff (employees of a business)