Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) enPR: prĭ'və-sē, IPA(key): /ˈpɹɪv.ə.si/, /ˈpɹaɪ.və.si/
- (General American) enPR: prī'və-sē, IPA(key): /ˈpɹaɪ.və.si/
privacy (countable and uncountable, plural privacies)
- (uncountable) The state of being secluded from the presence, sight, or knowledge of others.
- I need my privacy, so please stay out of my room.
- 1910, Emerson Hough, chapter II, in The Purchase Price: Or The Cause of Compromise, Indianapolis, Ind.: The Bobbs-Merrill Company, →OCLC:
- Carried somehow, somewhither, for some reason, on these surging floods, were these travelers, […]. Even such a boat as the Mount Vernon offered a total deck space so cramped as to leave secrecy or privacy well out of the question, even had the motley and democratic assemblage of passengers been disposed to accord either.
- 1944 November and December, “"Duplex Roomette" Sleeping Cars”, in Railway Magazine, page 324:
- It is realised that the old Pullman standard sleeper, with its convertible "sections", each containing upper and lower berths, and with no greater privacy at night than the curtains drawn along both sides of a middle aisle, has had its day.
- (uncountable) Freedom from unwanted or undue disturbance of one's private life.
- It takes a village to rob one of a sense of privacy.
- (uncountable) Freedom from damaging publicity, public scrutiny, surveillance, and disclosure of personal information, usually by a government or a private organization.
- Privacy is assumed by many to be among common-law rights.
- (countable, obsolete) A place of seclusion.
- (obsolete, law) A relationship between parties seen as being a result of their mutual interest or participation in a given transaction, contract etc.
- Synonym: privity
- (obsolete) Secrecy.
- (countable, obsolete) A private matter.
- Synonym: secret
state of being secluded
freedom from unwanted disturbance
freedom from publicity, scrutiny, surveillance, etc.
- privacy at OneLook Dictionary Search
- privacy in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911
Borrowed from English privacy.
privacy f (uncountable)
Unadapted borrowing from English privacy.
privacy f (invariable)
- privacy (especially online)
- ^ privacy in Luciano Canepari, Dizionario di Pronuncia Italiana (DiPI)
- ^ privacy in Dizionario Italiano Olivetti, Olivetti Media Communication
- English terms suffixed with -cy
- English 3-syllable words
- English terms with IPA pronunciation
- English terms with audio links
- English lemmas
- English nouns
- English uncountable nouns
- English countable nouns
- English terms with usage examples
- English terms with quotations
- English terms with obsolete senses
- Dutch terms borrowed from English
- Dutch terms derived from English
- Dutch terms with IPA pronunciation
- Dutch terms with audio links
- Dutch lemmas
- Dutch nouns
- Dutch uncountable nouns
- Dutch feminine nouns
- Italian terms borrowed from English
- Italian unadapted borrowings from English
- Italian terms derived from English
- Italian 3-syllable words
- Italian terms with IPA pronunciation
- Rhymes:Italian/ajvasi/3 syllables
- Rhymes:Italian/ivasi/3 syllables
- Italian lemmas
- Italian nouns
- Italian indeclinable nouns
- Italian countable nouns
- Italian terms spelled with Y
- Italian feminine nouns