Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Very important; of high importance.
2013 May 17, George Monbiot, “Money just makes the rich suffer”, in The Guardian Weekly, volume 188, number 23, page 19:
- In order to grant the rich these pleasures, the social contract is reconfigured. The welfare state is dismantled. Essential public services are cut so that the rich may pay less tax. […]
- (biology) necessary for survival but not synthesized by the organism, thus needing to be ingested
- Being in the basic form; showing its essence.
- Don’t mind him being grumpy. That’s the essential Fred.
- Really existing; existent.
- Webster (1623)
- Is it true, that thou art but a name, / And no essential thing?
- Webster (1623)
- (of a lamination of a 3-manifold) Such that each complementary region is irreducible, the boundary of each complementary region is incompressible by disks and monogons in the complementary region, and no leaf is a sphere or a torus bounding a solid torus in the manifold.
- (Can we add an example for this sense?)
- (medicine) Idiopathic.
- inessential, unessential, accidental, nonessential, unneeded, adscititious, unimportant, accessorial, unnecessary, incidental
terms derived from essential (adjective)
of high importance
needing to be ingested
in basic form
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
Translations to be checked
essential (plural essentials)
(Can we add an example for this sense?)
- essentials (essential qualities)
Third declension neuter.