Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- not dependent; not contingent or depending on something else; free
- (politics) not affiliated with any political party
- Providing a comfortable livelihood.
- an independent property
- Not subject to bias or influence; self-directing.
- a man of an independent mind
- Separate from; exclusive; irrespective.
- R. P. Ward
- That obligation in general, under which we conceive ourselves bound to obey a law, independent of those resources which the law provides for its own enforcement.
- R. P. Ward
Terms derived from independent
not dependent; not contingent or depending on something else; free
not aligned with any political party
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.
independent (plural independents)
- A candidate or voter not affiliated with any political party, a freethinker, free of a party platform.
- A neutral or uncommitted person.
- (sports) A team not affiliated with any league or conference.
- Rhymes: -ent
independent m, f (masculine and feminine plural independents)