Jump to navigation Jump to search
From peripher(y) + -al.
peripheral (comparative more peripheral, superlative most peripheral)
- On the periphery or boundary.
- Beside the point.
- (neuroanatomy) Related to or located in the peripheral nervous system.
on the periphery or boundary
beside the point
peripheral (plural peripherals)
- (computing) A peripheral device.
- 1984, Human Connection, Making MS-DOS & PC-DOS work for you:
- Check your peripheral's manual for the information you'll need.
- 1986, Ziff-Davis Publishing Company, (Please provide the book title or journal name):
- Check your peripheral's owners' manual to see at what speed your peripheral transmits or receives information, and then record this on the DIP Switch Information chart in the column at the left.
- 1994, Steve Birchall, Upgrading and repairing Macs:
- Turn on the Mac, and check your peripheral. Since you've already installed your device driver, it should be available where you need it....
- Peripheral vision.
- 2000, Eric Jerome Dicke, Milk in My Coffee:
- We hailed a cab. The moment we got in, she stared at me with how-can-a-man-be-so-cruel eyes. I felt her glare, saw some of its fiery glow in my peripheral. The heat made me glance her way.
- 2003, Kim Louise, The Glory of Love:
- He would hear the coach's admonition, "Always check your peripheral," after the ringing stopped in his ears. But before then, his eyes were fixed on the ball and a possible interception, not the receiver angling toward him.
- 2013, Saye Z. B. Zonen, Finding My Frequency:
- As I sat by the window and read, I caught sight of the mailman in my peripheral.
- 2014, Bill Ladson, "Zimmerman handles left field with ease -- and no E's" on MLB.com
- I was kind of looking at the ball, keeping him in my peripheral and all of sudden I see him closing in on the ball.
computing device — see peripheral device
- peripheral in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- peripheral in The Century Dictionary, New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911