According to Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, who frequently used the term, jabroni is a rendition of the wrestling term jobber, meaning one who loses to make other wrestlers look better. The term had previously been used by Scott Hall, Hulk Hogan, the Iron Sheik and other members of WCW and Steve Austin while in ECW.
This etymology is incomplete. You can help Wiktionary by elaborating on the origins of this term.
jabroni (plural jabronis)
- (professional wrestling slang) a performer whose primary role is to lose to established talent.
- An obnoxious or contemptible person; a loser.
- 2013 March 27, Michael Ricci, “Semi-Charmed Kind of Word”, in Columbia Spectator:
- Sometimes a person is stuck as a jabroni for life. Geraldo Rivera--there's a guy who no matter how high he grows his hair, how full he grows his moustache, or how dangerous an assignment he goes on as an "investigative reporter," he'll always be a jabroni.
- 2014 October 8, Leah Sottile, “The Right to Vape”, in The Atlantic:
- “I don’t want to be bullied again. I don’t want to feel like I have to stand in the cold again because some jabronis want to blow a three-foot cloud,” Richter says.
- 2009, The Routledge Dictionary of Modern American Slang and Unconventional English By Tom Dalzell