Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒkɪŋ
knocking (plural knockings)
- An act in which something is knocked on, or the sound thus produced
- 1893, W. B. Yeats, The Celtic Twilight:
- These strange openings and closings and knockings were warnings and reminders from the spirits who attend the dying.
- 1901, Carson Jay Lee, Oswald Langdon:
- There was no response to continued knockings.
- 2006 July 21, Keith Harris, Monica Kendrick, Peter Margasak, Bob Mehr, Miles Raymer, Neil Tesser, “The Treatment”, in Chicago Reader:
- Recorded live to CD with new instrumentation--artillery shells, tuned suspension cables, boxes filled with springs--and deemphasized guitar parts, it's a beautiful collection of echoes and whispers, drones and knockings, with a gently swelling sense of the sinister.