Jump to navigation Jump to search
kukui (plural kukuis)
- (Hawaii) Aleurites moluccana, the candlenut tree.
- 2007 May 18, The New York Times, “Spare Times: For Children”, in New York Times:
- “We get so wrapped up in the lei thing,” Ms. Shibata said, noting that instead of that perishable adornment, children will create bracelets of nuts from the kukui, the Hawaiian state tree.
- 2012, Julia Flynn Siler, Lost Kingdom, Grove Press, p. 43:
- Passing through a grove of kukui trees, with their silver-gray leaves, and then through a valley, they would have reached sugarcane fields, their stalks as tall as a man and densely clumped together.