- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈlɔːn.məʊ.ə/
- (General American) IPA(key): /ˈlɔn.moʊ.ɚ/
- (cot–caught merger, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈlɑn.moʊ.ɚ/
Audio (US) (file)
lawnmower (plural lawnmowers)
- A device used for cutting grass to a chosen height, typically of landscaped lawns of residences or institutions.
- We replaced our old electric lawnmower with a new cordless one.
- 1877, Queensland. Dept. of Public Instruction, Report of the Secretary for Public Instruction
- It is only a small school, but this year the committee has expended £105 in reforming the garden, painting the fences, making a tennis court and lawn, purchasing a lawnmower etc.
- 1912, O. Henry, Rolling Stones
- here was an ordinary man out of the city directory that subscribes for magazines and pushes the lawnmower in his shirt-sleeves of evenings.
- A person who landscapes and in particular mows lawns.
- We hired a third lawnmower for the spring and summer.
a device to cut grass