Jump to navigation Jump to search
From the verb phrase lay off.
layoff (plural layoffs)
- (chiefly US) A dismissal of employees from their jobs because of tightened budgetary constraints or work shortage (not due to poor performance or misconduct).
- A period of time when someone is unavailable for work.
- 2010 December 29, Sam Sheringham, “Liverpool 0 - 1 Wolverhampton”, in BBC:
- But even the return of skipper Steven Gerrard from a six-week injury layoff could not inspire Liverpool
- (Britain, soccer) A short pass that has been rolled in front of another player for them to kick.
dismissal of employees