See also: legal-beagle
- (idiomatic) A skillful and adroit lawyer.
- He made his reputation as a legal beagle as a prosecutor before entering private practice.
- 1921 December 24, Implement & Tractor, volume 36, page 21:
- For our part we are quite willing to pass the immortelles to Outerbridge Horsey, Banker Stillman's legal beagle.
- 1947, Weekly Commercial News, volume 105:
- Marshall, who didn't know the process server was after him until the legal beagle was called off by his congressional bosses, settled the whole affair late this afternoon by giving the committee the papers it wanted.
- 2010, Vicky Oliver, 301 Smart Answers to Tough Business Etiquette Questions, page 103:
- You don't want to be a legal beagle about it. You are not a dog! Still, a passing familiarity with employment law isn't such a bad thing when you're working for others.