Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /ˈlaɪt.məʊˌtiːf/
- (US) IPA(key): /ˈlaɪt.moʊˌtif/, nonstandard IPA(key): /ˈleɪt.moʊˌtif/
Audio (US) (file)
leitmotif (plural leitmotifs)
- (music) A melodic theme associated with a particular character, place, thing or idea in an opera.
- (by extension) A recurring theme.
- Synonym: common thread
- 2009, David Gallagher, Metamorphosis, Rodopi, →ISBN, page 183:
- Mann's adaption of Wagner's technique and its development throughout his writing is analysed, including how Mann uses the leitmotif in a naturalistic, characterising and mechanical sense in Buddenbrooks, attaching it to persons and situations as etiquettes.
melodic theme in an opera