little black dress
- A simply cut and often quite short evening or cocktail dress.
2012, Rebecca Apsan, Lessons in Lingerie: Finding Your Perfect Shade of Seduction:
- When dressing up for a night out, let's not forget the sex appeal, allure, and slenderizing effect of ultrasheer black hosiery under that little black dress.
- (figuratively) Something simple, versatile, and elegant; something that pairs well with many other things.
2014 August 1, Sarah Hazelwood, “5 of the Best…Fruits and Vegetables to grow this August”, in Buzz, page 27:
- Who, excepting fictional fanged creatures of the night, doesn't love a bit of garlic? It goes in anything and is like the little black dress of the food world.
2014 August 10, Karen Crouse, “After Tuneup for Trials, American Swimmers Evaluate Potential”, in The New York Times:
- While Phelps might have been the headliner, Ledecky became the little black dress of American swimming; unpretentious, regal and ridiculously versatile.
- For more examples of usage of this term, see Citations:little black dress.
woman's short black dress