Jump to navigation Jump to search
- little ol', little ole
- li'l' old, li'l' ol', li'l' ole
- li'l old, li'l ol', li'l ole
- lil old, lil ol', lil ole
- Used other than with a figurative or idiomatic meaning: see little, old.
- A little old lady.
- This joke is getting a little old.
- (US, idiomatic, informal) Emphatically, affectionately, or humorously little; ordinary or harmless (especially when trying to downplay the importance of something).
- How about a little old game of pool?
- And now, this little old child is going to bed.
- Just one little old poker game now and then, that's not gambling.
- 1909, Rowland Thomas, The Little Gods, p. 280:
- You brought the best little old news you'll ever tote. Secretario, if you never promulgate worse news than that, you'll boost your circulation a thousand a day.
- 1915, Roy K. Moulton, "On the Spur of the Moment: Appearances", in The Day (New London), 14 August 1915, p. 9:
- They found afterward to their regret that he was the finest little old poker player that ever struck the village and he carried away a suitcase of yellow-backed bills.
- 1949, Walt Kelly, Pogo (comic strip), 16 May 1949:
- [Pogo:] I'm takin' care of this li'l' ol' backward child.
- 1976, Richard West, "The Best of Texas", in Texas Monthly, Vol. 4, No. 7, p. 103:
- We Texans have always bragged about having the best little old this and the best little old that.
- 1992, Henry I. Christ, Building Power in Reading, p. 131:
- Well, you nice people, I'm going to let you in on a secret and show you why this kitchen knife is the best little ole product you can get.
- 1995, Rose Clayton (ed.), Elvis Up Close: In the Words of Those Who Knew Him Best, p. 13:
- Christine Roberts Presley: Elvis was the best little ol' thing. He was so polite.
- 1999, New York Times, "College Basketball: Men's Roundup; Jarvis Keeps His Focus on Tough Road Ahead":
- While still marveling over the magnificent overtime victory his team had over St. John's Sunday, Duke Coach Mike Krzyzewski turned immediately to worrying about what was ahead. [...] Duke plays a little old game against North Carolina tonight.
- 2010, J. Cole, Friday Night Lights (mixtape), "You Got It" lyrics:
- Last time I seen you, you was a little old girl / I had a crush now we grown and we still so thorough
Used more often (and in more constructions) in the Southern United States.
- little old at OneLook Dictionary Search