Named after the "locusts" said to have been eaten by John the Baptist, based on the theory that they were really carob pods.
locust tree (plural locust trees)
- Any of a number of similar looking trees in the genera Gleditsia and Robinia.
- The honey locust Gleditsia triacanthos, a leguminous tree with pods having a sweet, edible pulp.
- The black locust, Robinia pseudoacacia, a leguminous tree with toxic pods, but useful for making honey.
- (less common) The African locust bean tree (Parkia biglobosa).
- The carob tree, Ceratonia siliqua.