loukoumades pl (plural only)
- Pastries made of deep-fried dough soaked in sugar syrup or honey and cinnamon, and sometimes sprinkled with sesame. (used especially of the Greek version of these pastries)
- 2009 April 12, Kris Ensminger, “Lamb Aplenty”, in New York Times:
- A $28 traditional Greek dinner, available after 5 p.m. next Sunday, will feature magiritsa, Greek salad, rotisserie- or oven-roasted lamb and loukoumades — Greek-style doughnuts.
- The singular, loukoumas, is uncommon.
- lokma (used especially of the Turkish variant of this pastry)
lokma — see lokma