Jump to navigation Jump to search
See also: love bird
lovebird (plural lovebirds)
- Any small parrot from one of the nine species within the genus Agapornis. Sometimes they are kept as cage birds and are noted for their affection towards each other.
- (figuratively, usually in the plural) One of the members of an openly affectionate couple.
- 1999, “The One with the Girl Who Hits Joey”, in Friends, season 5, episode 15, spoken by Joey Tribbiani (Matt LeBlanc):
- Okay, all right, whew! What do you say we all clear out of here and let these two lovebirds get back down to business?
- black-cheeked lovebird, Agapornis nigrigenis
- black-collared lovebird (or Swindern's lovebird), Agapornis swindernianus
- black-winged lovebird (or Abyssinian lovebird), Agapornis taranta
- Fischer's lovebird, Agapornis fischeri
- grey-headed lovebird (or Madagascar lovebird), Agapornis canus
- Lilian's lovebird (or Nyasa lovebird), Agapornis lilianae
- red-headed lovebird (or red-faced lovebird), Agapornis pullarius
- rosy-faced lovebird (or peach-faced lovebird), Agapornis roseicollis
- yellow-collared lovebird (or masked lovebird), Agapornis personatus,
- → Japanese: ラブバード (rabubādo)
a parrot of the genus Agapornis
an affectionate couple (or a person thereof)