Jump to navigation Jump to search
Calque of German Magischer Realismus, first referring to the anti-expressionist artistic movement New Objectivity (1925), later applied to literature, especially in Latin America where it is known as realismo mágico.
magic realism (usually uncountable, plural magic realisms)
- A literary style or genre that combines naturalistic details and narrative with surreal or dreamlike elements.
- Hyponym: magical feminism
- 2013 January 11, Tom Shone, “Oscar nominations pull a surprise by showing some taste – but will it last?”, in The Guardian:
- Perhaps the best news to come out of the nominations was the brightened box-office prospects for such films as Benh Zeitlin's Beasts of the Southern Wild, a dazzling piece of magic realism pieced together from just $1.8m, some rusty bathtubs and whatever Louisiana bric-a-brac its youthful collective of film-makers could lay their hands on; […]
- magic realism on Wikipedia.Wikipedia