Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK, General Australian) IPA(key): /ˈlɪtəɹəɹi/, /ˈlɪt(ə)ɹi/
- (US, Canada) IPA(key): /ˈlɪtəɹɛ(ə)ɹi/, [ˈɫɪɾəɹɛ(ə)ɹi]
Audio (US) (file)
- Relating to literature.
- literary fame
- a literary history
- literary conversation
- Relating to writers, or the profession of literature.
- a literary man
- 1775, William Mason, The Poems of Mr. Gray. To which are prefixed Memoirs of his Life and Writings by W. Mason. York:
- in the literary as well as fashionable world
- Knowledgeable of literature or writing.
- Appropriate to literature rather than everyday writing.
relating to literature
relating to writers, or the profession of literature
appropriate to literature rather than everyday writing
bookish — see bookish
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables. See instructions at Wiktionary:Entry layout § Translations.
- “literary”, in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, Springfield, Mass.: G. & C. Merriam, 1913, →OCLC.
- “literary”, in The Century Dictionary […], New York, N.Y.: The Century Co., 1911, →OCLC.