make an honest woman
- (idiomatic, informal, now usually with "of") To marry (a woman), especially if there is an existing sexual relationship.
- I thought about just asking Rosalyn to move in with me, but I decided it was time to make an honest woman out of her.
- 1749, Henry Fielding, Tom Jones, Folio Society 1973, p. 567:
- the mother, Mr Jones, Mr Nightingale, and his love, stept into a hackney-coach, which conveyed them to Doctors' Commons; where Miss Nancy was, in vulgar language, soon made an honest woman, and the poor mother became […] one of the happiest of all human beings.
- Also with "out of" for "of", especially in US English.