Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
mealie (plural mealies)
- (South Africa) An ear or kernel of maize; in plural as mass noun: maize, corn.
- 1897, James Bryce, Impressions of South Africa, p. 90:
- 1952, Doris Lessing, Martha Quest, Panther 1974, p. 8:
- At the other end of the veranda, on two deck-chairs planted side by side and looking away over the bush and the mealie fields, were Mr. Quest and Mr. Van Rensberg […].
- 1994, Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom, p. 10:
- My mother planted and harvested her own mealies.