metallist (plural metallists)
- (metallurgy) a person who works with metals
- (economics) an advocate of metal coinage as the principal or sole currency
- No economist, with the possible exception of the most doctrinaire metallists, have ever expressed any other opinion. --American Economic Review (1938) 28, p. 316
- While not all Jacksonians were Metallists, or vice versa, the Jacksonian Metallists sought to purge the currency of small bank notes and replace them with gold and silver coins. --Exploring Economic History (1974) 11, p. 228
- The authors argue that Ricardo, unlike Marx, was no ‘metallist’, that is, he never applied the labour theory of value to the monetary metal to determine the general price level. --Economic Journal (1991) 101, p. 407
- A metaller: a fan of the metal music genre.