Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
See also: Moke
moke (plural mokes)
- (colloquial, dialectal) A donkey.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Thackeray to this entry?)
- 1888, Rudyard Kipling, ‘Only a Subaltern’, Under the Deodars, Folio Society 2005, p. 68:
- the Colonel [...] had asked them why the three stars should he, a colonel of the Line, command a dashed nursery for double-dashed bottle-suckers who put on condemned tin spurs and rode qualified mokes at the hiatused heads of forsaken Black Regiments.
- A mesh of a net, or of anything resembling a net.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of Halliwell to this entry?)
- (US pejorative slang, now rare) A black person.
- A stupid person; a dolt.
- (dated, theatrical slang) A performer, such as a minstrel, who plays on several musical instruments.