Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Divination by interpreting shapes formed when molten lead is dropped into water.
1957, Robert Plank, “Spontaneous Projection of Meaningful Forms”, in Journal of Projective Techniques, page 146:
- The place of molybdomancy is also to be located in the uncertain border area between spontaneous and solicited projection.
1971 January, Tak Hallus, “Homage”, in Analog Science Fiction / Science Fact, page 67:
- There was a happy group in Tallahassee swapping wives on the basis of molybdomancy.
- 1713, Fabricii Bibliographia Antiquaria
- Molybdomantia, ex plumbi liqvefacti divers motibus.
- 1727, Bailey, The Universal Etym. Eng. Dict.
- MOLUBDOMANCY [molybdomanteia of molybdos Lead, and manteia Divination, Gr.] a divining, an observing the motions, Figures, &c. of melted Lead.
- 1931, de Givry, Lock tr., Picture Museum of Sorcery
- Molybdomancy was divination by melted lead; drops of it were allowed to fall into water, and the resulting noises and hissings listened to.
divination by molten lead dropped in water