Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- Divination by interpreting shapes formed when molten metal, typically lead or tin, is dropped into water.
1957, Robert Plank, “Spontaneous Projection of Meaningful Forms”, in Journal of Projective Techniques, page 146:
- The place of molybdomancy is also to be located in the uncertain border area between spontaneous and solicited projection.
1971 January, Tak Hallus, “Homage”, in Analog Science Fiction / Science Fact, page 67:
- There was a happy group in Tallahassee swapping wives on the basis of molybdomancy.
- 1727, Bailey, The Universal Etym. Eng. Dict.
- MOLUBDOMANCY [molybdomanteia of molybdos Lead, and manteia Divination, Gr.] a divining, an observing the motions, Figures, &c. of melted Lead.
- 1931, de Givry, Lock tr., Picture Museum of Sorcery
- Molybdomancy was divination by melted lead; drops of it were allowed to fall into water, and the resulting noises and hissings listened to.