move the needle
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) To change a situation to a noticeable degree.
- Synonym: budge the needle
- 2002 July 28, Janice M. Horowitz, "Hot Stuff," Time (retrieved 8 Jan 2016):
- Think Red Hots are a taste challenge? Or the Atomic Fireball is the ultimate tongue torture? They barely move the needle for confectionery connoisseurs.
- 2012 August 9, Eric Lowitt, "To solve climate change, let's move beyond climate change," Guardian (UK) (retrieved 8 Jan 2016):
- How does a participant in a sector, or an entire sector for that matter, move the needle on climate change?
- 2016 May 19, James B. Stewart, "Warren Buffett Stake Suggests Apple Is All Grown Up," New York Times (retrieved 8 Jan 2016):
- “[G]iven Apple’s huge success and its sheer magnitude, it needs a monstrous new product or enhancement of an existing product to move the needle on growth.”