Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /maɪˈɒpɪk/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /maɪˈoʊpɪk/, /maɪˈɑpɪk/
- Rhymes: -ɒpɪk
- Hyphenation: my‧op‧ic
- near-sighted; unable to see distant objects unaided
- Corrective lenses compensate for the excessive positive diopters of the myopic eye.
- A stronger prescription for myopic night drivers is often needed.
- shortsighted; improvident
- narrow minded
- So it is no wonder that some of the remarkable discoveries of the scientific method (...) can draw most of us well outside our myopic comfort zone.
unable to see distant objects unaided
myopic (plural myopics)
- A short-sighted individual.
- 2008 March 23, Polly Morrice, “Descended From Salinger”, in New York Times:
- The offbeat little girls of “Playdate,” whose mothers stumble through parenthood, are not the first characters to feel like cultural descendants of Salinger’s children, those savants, myopics, guileless nose pickers and practicing belchers who seem to glow on the page, highlighting the shallowness of the adults.