Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (UK) IPA(key): /maɪˈəʊ.pɪ.ə/
Audio (UK) (file)
- (US) IPA(key): /maɪˈoʊ.pi.ə/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -əʊpiə
- (pathology) A disorder of the vision where distant objects appear blurred because the eye focuses their images in front of the retina instead of on it.
- 2015 March 15, Elie Dolgin, “The myopia boom”, in Nature:
- The modern rise in myopia mirrored a trend for children in many countries to spend more time engaged in reading, studying or — more recently — glued to computer and smartphone screens.
- (figuratively) A lack of imagination, discernment or long-range perspective in thinking or planning.
disorder of the vision — see nearsightedness
lack of imagination, discernment or long-range perspective in thinking or planning
myopia f (uncountable)
- Obsolete spelling of (used in Portugal until September 1911 and died out in Brazil during the 1920s).