Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (thermodynamics) Volume-specific entropy surplus above background, which can be exported and do work in the process.
- The bound entropy is determined by the microscopic degrees of freedom of the network and is not available as useable information. In analogy with free energy, which is the energy available to do work, we have free entropy, which is the entropy available to produce useful information. Thus, the free entropy is precisely the neg-entropy discussed by Szilárd, Wiener, Brillouin and so many others.
- ... negentropy is really another term for an increase in available energy.
- To be useful, internal energy has to be concentrated. The more dilute or disorganized the internal energy, the less useful it is ...
- ^ West, Bruce J.; Scafetta, Nicola ♦ Disrupted Networks: From Physics to Climate Change ♦ Studies of Nonlinear Phenomena in Life Science, v. 13. World Scientific, 2010, p. 150
- ^ Corning, Peter A. ♦ Holistic Darwinism: Synergy, Cybernetics, and the Bioeconomics of Evolution ♦ University of Chicago Press, 2005, p. 329
- ^ Newman, Jay ♦ Physics of the Life Sciences ♦ Springer, 2008, p. 336