hide nor hair
Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
(Redirected from neither hide nor hair)
- (idiomatic) A trace, indication, or evidence, especially of a person.
- He retired last June, and his coworkers have seen neither hide nor hair of him since.
1885, Mark Twain, chapter 41, in Huckleberry Finn:
- Not a one of us could catch hide nor hair nor sight nor sound of them.
- 1982, Richard Schickel, "Flesh and Flash" (review of Cat People), Time, 5 Apr.,
- No rational explanation for her lamentable condition is advanced, neither hide nor hair of a leopard is ever spotted, and certainly no scene in which woman literally turns into cat, or vice versa, is ever played.
- Usually used in negative grammatical constructions to describe the complete absence of someone or something.