Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (mathematics) Having a flexible number or nature of parameters which are not fixed in advance.
- (statistics) Free of assumptions about the frequency distributions of the variables being assessed.
- (statistics): distribution-free
- Simulation Modeling and Analysis, Law and Kelton, 2000
- (def. #2) First used in a paper by Jacob Wolfowitz(1942): "Additive Partition Functions and a Class of Statistical Hypotheses," Annals of Statistics, 13, 247-279