Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
obsequies pl (plural only)
- the plural only usage is favored by the Oxford Dictionary, and thus can be considered to be British, whereas Webster's dictionary, with prevalence of the usage in the plural being noted, gives both singular and plural forms of the word.
- in modern usage, not to be confused with obsequious
- ^ obsequies ('obsequy' not listed). Oxford Dictionaries Online, Oxford University Press
- ^ obsequy in Webster’s Revised Unabridged Dictionary, G. & C. Merriam, 1913
- ^ obsequy. Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary
- The Pocket Oxford Dictionary and Thesaurus. American Edition. Oxford University Press, 1997
- Webster's Encyclopedic Unabridged Dictionary of the English Language. Random House, 1996.