See also: ósmosis
- The net movement of solvent molecules, usually water, from a region of lower solute concentration to a region of higher solute concentration through a partially permeable membrane.
- Picking up knowledge accidentally, without actually seeking that particular knowledge.
- I was reading about chickens, and I guess I learned about hawks through osmosis.
- 1999, Neil Gaiman, Stardust, pages 36-37 (2001 Perennial paperback edition)
- At age fourteen, by a process of osmosis, of dirty jokes, whispered secrets and filthy ballads, Tristram learned of sex.
movement of molecules
picking up knowledge accidentally