Jump to navigation Jump to search
- (transitive) To exhaust or deprive of breath.
- (transitive) To breathe out; expire.
- 1590, Edmund Spenser, Spenser's The Faerie Queene, Book I, 1921 ed. edition:
- II Scarsely had Phoebus in the glooming East 10 Yet harnessed his firie-footed teeme, Ne reard above the earth his flaming creast; When the last deadly smoke aloft did steeme That signe of last outbreathed life did seeme Unto the watchman on the castle wall, 15 Who thereby dead that balefull Beast did deeme, And to his Lord and Ladie lowd gan call, To tell how he had seene the Dragons fatall fall.
- (intransitive) To issue as a breath; exhale.