Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- To take something away (and keep it away); deny someone of something.
- 2005, Plato, Sophist. Translation by Lesley Brown. 260a.
- 1900, L. Frank Baum , The Wonderful Wizard of Oz Chapter 23
- "By means of the Golden Cap I shall command the Winged Monkeys to carry you to the gates of the Emerald City," said Glinda, "for it would be a shame to deprive the people of so wonderful a ruler."
- If we had been deprived of it, the most serious consequence would be that we'd be deprived of philosophy.
- depriver (agent noun)
take something away; deny someone of something