Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (transitive) To throw (someone or something) off balance.
- (intransitive) To lose one's balance.
- (intransitive) To have an excess weight.
- (intransitive) To overcompensate.
- (transitive) To exceed equality with; to outweigh.
- (Can we find and add a quotation of John Locke to this entry?)
overbalance (plural overbalances)
- Excess of weight or value; something more than an equivalent.
- an overbalance of exports
- Jonathan Edwards
- […] if there is in man's nature a tendency to guilt and ill desert in a vast overbalance to virtue and merit […]