Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (dated) A gear, on an automobile, higher than the normal top gear.
1981 Oct, Popular Mechanics, volume 156, page 201:
- Cruising in overdrive at legal highway speed keeps rpm right at 1800, depending on rear-axle ratio.
- A state of heightened activity.
2000, Salman Rushdie, The ground beneath her feet, page 78:
- It is true, though it's got nothing to do with me, that the building boom that created the Bombay of my childhood went into overdrive in the years before my birth
A gear on an automobile
A state of heightened activity
- “overdrive” in The Bokmål Dictionary.