Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- The individual's right to choose any form of government without being forced to move from their current locale.
- 1860 article by “Panarchy” de Puydt
- (systems theory) Dynamic symmetry across multiple scales.
- (diplomacy) An inclusive, multilateral system in which all parties may participate meaningfully.
2006, W.A. Knight, “Plurilateral Multilateralism: Canada's Emerging International Policy?”, in Andrew F. Cooper, Dane Rowlands, editors, Canada Among Nations, ISBN 0773530266, page 100:
- The overlapping governance networks of panarchy have facilitated a context conducive to the above competing multilateralisms.
- (anarchism, rare) Rule by all; a system of governance in which each person has absolute power.
- (rare) Rule of all; absolute or total rule.
1909, Samuel Eagle Forman, A Good Word for Democracy, page 91:
- These contentions give rise to systems of political philosophy which range all the way from anarchy to panarchy; from the doctrine that government should do nothing to the doctrine that it should do everything.
- (poetic, rare) An all-encompassing realm.
- Sewell and Salter, 1995, p.373