- paregorick (obsolete)
- (Received Pronunciation) IPA(key): /pæɹɪˈɡɒɹɪk/
- (General American) IPA(key): /pɛɹɪˈɡɔɹɪk/
- Hyphenation: par‧e‧gor‧ic
paregoric (plural paregorics)
- A painkiller; a medicine which soothes or relieves pain.
- 2004, David Mitchell, Cloud Atlas:
- My local doctor promises to accompany me ashore, spare no expense to obtain powerful paregorics & remain at my bedside until my recovery is compleat, even if Prophetess must leave for California without us.
- PG (slang)
- Assuaging or soothing pain.
- paregoric elixir