- A woman's dress that is too elegant, revealing, dressy or impractical for normal wear.
- 2017 October 2, Jess Cartner-Morle, “Stella McCartney lays waste to disposable fashion in Paris”, in the Guardian:
- The designer’s most recent advertising campaign was shot in a Scottish landfill site, featuring the models Birgit Kos in a camel jumpsuit on top of the decaying wreck of a car, and Iana Godnia in a green lace party dress prone on a bed of cardboard and flattened milk cartons.
- 1977 - Elvis Costello - "Alison"
- Oh it's so funny to be seeing you after so long, girl. /And with the way you look I understand /that you were not impressed. /But I heard you let that little friend of mine /take off your party dress.
woman's elegant dress