pay through the nose
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Audio (AU) (file)
- (idiomatic) To pay an exorbitant or excessive amount, either in money or in some other manner.
- Synonym: pay over the odds
- 1918, Peter B. Kyne, The Valley of the Giants, ch. 36:
- "You'll pay through the nose for this, you scoundrel," Sexton whimpered. "I'll fix you, you traitor."
- 1921, John Galsworthy, The Forsyte Saga, part 2, ch. 4:
- That fellow would milk the settlements somehow, and make his family pay through the nose to keep him out of bankruptcy.
To pay a high price