Jump to navigation Jump to search
Calque of Chinese 形聲字／形声字 (xíngshēngzì).
phono-semantic compound (plural phono-semantic compounds)
- A Chinese character (CJKV character) composed of a component which is related to the meaning the character and another component which is related to the sound of the character.
- 2006, Language and linguistics - Volume 7, Issue 3, page 579:
- Only an opaque and weak orthography-to-phonology analogy rule can be found with the phono-semantic compound type of characters (i.e., the xingshēng zi), which covers 80% of modern daily-use characters.
- 2015, Doyle, Denise, New Opportunities for Artistic Practice in Virtual Worlds, →ISBN, page 57:
- 'Jeon' is a phono-semantic compound which is formed from two elements of different words in two parts.
- 2017, Thomas O. Höllmann, Chinese Script: History, Characters, Calligraphy, →ISBN:
- Phono-semantic compound characters, or the combination of elements that provide meaning and sound: the rebus 干 (gan) provides the phonetic basis for combinations with determinative characters such as 木 (mu, tree),日 (ri, sun), and 月 (rou, meat), to create the characters ...
a type of Chinese character