Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
From French photographie. Surface etymology is photo- + -graphy, together meaning "drawing with light" or "representation by means of lines", "drawing". From φωτός (phōtós, “(genitive) of light”), and γράφω (gráphō, “I write”).
- (UK) IPA(key): /fəˈtɒɡɹəfi/
- (US) IPA(key): /fəˈtɑɡɹəfi/
Audio (US) (file)
- Rhymes: -ɒɡɹəfi
- Hyphenation: pho‧tog‧ra‧phy
- The art and technology of producing images on photosensitive surfaces, and its digital counterpart.
- The occupation of taking (and often printing) photographs.
art and technology of producing images on photosensitive surfaces
occupation of taking (and often printing) photographs
- The translations below need to be checked and inserted above into the appropriate translation tables, removing any numbers. Numbers do not necessarily match those in definitions. See instructions at Help:How to check translations.