Definition from Wiktionary, the free dictionary
- (now rare) The materials needed to construct a picture frame.
- The act of setting a painting, photograph etc. in a frame.
- (roofing) A square or rectangular pattern of ridges in a roof membrane or covering over insulation or deck joints.
1989, H.L. Simmons, Repairing And Extending Weather Barriers, page 97:
- When ridges occur along both longitudinal and transverse joints, outlining the insulation boards, the pattern formed is known as "picture framing"
1996, Charles William Griffin, R. L. Fricklas, Manual of low-slope roof systems, page 258:
- The staggered grid pattern is sometimes called "picture framing," a phenomenon generally limited to smooth-surfaced membranes with asbestos felts
2006, C.W. Griffin, Richard Fricklas, Manual of Low-Slope Roof Systems: Fourth Edition:
- When they also appear above the transverse insulation-board joints, the pattern is called picture framing