Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Possessing poise, having self-confidence.
- Ready, prepared.
- He stood there, poised to act, and then suddenly he drew his gun in a smooth arc.
- 2011 September 29, Tom Rostance, “Stoke 2 - 1 Besiktas”, in BBC Sport:
- A free-kick from Matthew Etherington caused more confusion on the stroke of half-time but Mehmet Aurelio was able to hook the ball clear with Cameron Jerome poised to strike.
- Balanced, in position, equilibrium
- 1934 January, Hanson W. Baldwin, “R. M. S Titanic”, in Harper's Magazine, page 176:
- The Titanic stands on end, poised briefly for the plunge.
possessing poise, having self-confidence
balanced, in position, equilibrium
- simple past tense and past participle of